Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ruminations on Work

At the shop, hidden behind rolls of ribbon next to my desk, is a torn piece of paper with a powerful quote:

"We should all do what, in the long run, gives us joy, even if it is only picking grapes or sorting the laundry." -- E.B. White, Letters of E.B. White
This particular scrap used to be in my bedroom, also next to my computer, in the early days of Kanibal Home when the store was only web-based. I'd come home from working a long day in public relations and sit down to eat (another meal) at my desk while I updated and toiled away on my pet project. Sometimes until two or three in the morning.

But it never quite felt like work. And I would often glance over at that quote and think, One day I'll be able to do this as an actual job. All day. I never thought it would really be possible. But, in the meantime, I'd keep this late night time to myself as my little bit of joy.

I now work upwards of 80 hours a week. It's not hard to believe that my friends and family roll their eyes (often and unabashedly) and aren't shy in exclaiming that I "work too much." But -- in the long run --if it gives me joy, then what's the sense in stopping or shortening or taking a break? I meet a lot of people in the shop that want to open their own business or become entrepreneurs of some sort. And, you can have all the talent in the world, but I honestly think that it comes down to this: Can you continue to find joy in your craft?

I glanced over at that quote this morning and thought: I know I do.

1 comment:

Eat.Laugh.Love said...

This post made my heart smile. Keep up the excellent work. You are an inspiration!