Thursday, July 21, 2011

Before + After: Ikat Chair

Ooo, I haven't done one of these posts in awhile! Long overdo.

BEFORE: I picked up the following chair in one of my many hunting expeditions last month. I'm always on the look-out for seating that's both functional and fun. More importantly, I'm looking for items with great bones. It doesn't need to be pretty or polished because that will come later.

This lovely lady was a perfect specimen. Around 100 years old with spindle legs and carved, delicate detailing, she was a little rough on the eyes when I first found her. The wood needed to be conditioned and a few supports needed to be fixed. Per the usual, all the fabric was gutted and the seat required some strengthening.





AFTER: But all the work was worth the final product, because -- cleaned up, conditioned and custom reupholstered -- she really is a pretty side chair. Plus how great is that ikat printed fabric? As soon as I saw it, I knew it needed to go on this chair. And, if I do say so myself, I think the final product is pretty stunning!



(This detailing is my favorite -- so special!)



(At rest inside the shop. I'm really pleased with how this turned out and, from my vantage point behind the desk, I get to start at this beauty all day.)




 

No comments: