Saturday, September 25, 2010

Guest Blog: Taking on the Trends - Fifties Revival

If there's one thing I say over and over again, it's that I have an extremely talented, insightful, loyal and creative pool of customers at Kanibal Home. It's allowed me to push the limits of the shop, offer art classes and one-of-a-kind events and partner with some serious fashion, design and art experts.

That said, I'm happy to introduce a new kind of post over here at the Kanibal Home blog: For you, from you. Yup, that's right. Blog posts written by the Kanibal Home customers. So if you have something to say or share, shoot me a line. And, for our first guest post, I'm happy to introduce Amie Kershbaum -- a local information and fashion junkie.

TAKING ON THE TRENDS: FIFTIES REVIVAL
-- By Amie Kershbaum

When the highly influential Miuccia Prada sent down the runway 1950's inspired silhouettes featuring voluminous circle skirts last February, I was far from excited. Then Marc Jacobs echoed the aesthetic with his show at Louis Vuitton and I knew it wasn't going to be the greatest season for fantasy wardrobe building. (I'm not sure if that is a generally understood term, but it's my version of a fantasy sports pool with no betting.)

(Lara Stone in the Fall 2010 Shows: Louis Vuitton; Source: Style.com)

(Lara Stone in the Fall 2010 Shows: Prada; Source: Style.com) 

Although I'm a vintage fiend, I've never even tried on a piece from the 50's. I'd need to grow at least a foot to dream of pulling off those skirts that hit the very unflattering mid-calf length. The soft, lightweight sweaters might look do-able on the rack -- but keep walking if you're like me and fill out a top more like Kate Moss than "It" model du jour Lara Stone. I consigned myself to overweighing my fantasy "line-up" with more body-friendly fall trends like the resurgence of Helmut Lang's "protective" urban uniform (aaah loads of black, grey and boot cuts) and the camel coat.

Then I found myself inspired by the thick gold chain jewelry in the "Magnificent Obsession" spread in the July issue of Vogue styled by Grace Coddington. Always the inimitable genius, Grace incorporated an accessory that is not only pitch-perfect with the period being referenced, but wearable regardless of body type and highly versatile. Chunky chain link jewelry works with casual basics, and surprisingly well with more downtown pieces owing to the heft and simplicity.


(Magnificent Obsession, Vogue, July 2010)

While I won't be channeling or mock-acquiring the more easily recognized 50's inspired trends (I'm passing on the bustier tops and elbow gloves), I'll be rocking the gold chain links into autumn and beyond.

1 comment:

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

I've always loved the look of the 50's and early 60's. So classic. And for someone like me who has curves, it's nice to find a trend that will work with my body type. But I agree - that chunky chain necklace would look great on everyone!