Friday, January 7, 2011

Spring 2011 Preview - Life Imitates Art :: Fashion Imitates ?

It's a bit "chicken or the egg?", but I have to side with Oscar Wilde in the anti-mimesis position that sometimes it truly seems life does imitate art. Or art imitates art. Or ... there are just some things that shouldn't be replicated over and over and over, ad nauseam.That was my immediate thought when checking out the 2011 Spring/Summer fashion collections. Thinking that I could draw some inspiration, I was instead confronted by Art History 101 flash backs.

I just don't understand the fashion industry's stance on creating clothing that looks like ... well, I'll let you figure it out. It's like the fashion equivalent of a Rorschach print when presented to a known sexual deviant. No really, what do you think it looks like?

I agree that fashion should be fun, but this much fun?

QUESTION: Is Georgia O'Keefe rolling in her grave as life, art and fashion have an orgy?

(Red Canna, O'Keefe)

(An interesting neckline on Alexander McQueen's Spring 2011 RTW collection, all fashion images via Style.com)




(Black Iris, O'Keefe)



(A jacket that reminds me to make a gyno appointment from Marc Jacobs, Spring 2011 RTW)





(A painting of New Mexico by O'Keefe)

(I'm not quite sure how this would be worn -- is it a vest? -- but I do know it looks like someone's overgrown and untamed nether regions. VPL Spring 2011)


ANSWER: The spring/summer 2011 collections are a chaotic consortium of art, nature and design. We have the usual suspects that pop up in fashion: Butterflies, flowers and vaginas. All of which do nothing to flatter the female figure or attract mates.

KANIBAL HOME PROMISE: I will do my best not to dress any of you like an overgrown flower or provacative lady bits this upcoming season. However I do have grand plans to unveil a new special line in the shop. So stay tuned ... and stay away from any of the above.

No comments: