I've been waiting to start a new project that -- like most undertakings -- had only two possible outcomes: awesome or awful. I'm happy to report that after a day of gluing, nailing and board breaking not only am I pleased with the outcome, but my legs got quite a workout in the process. Double bonus.
So the inspiration for this project came from all the great decorative wood walls I've seen popping up lately. Unable to commit to destroying the shop's wall, I turned something that should have been permanent into an installation. And I got to use one of my favorite types of wood too! Yay lath.
Here's the wall before:
|(Not bad, but missing a little something-something)|
|(The fun and time-consuming part = measuring and cutting all the lath pieces to fit into an aesthetic grid pattern.)|
|(Bundles and bundles of lath ... and me and my little saw. I have a big girl circular saw in the shop, but I was trying to minimize the dust. And loss of fingers.)|
|(Getting there ...)|
|(Finally finished laying everything down! Now it's time to rip it all up again so I can glue/nail it back into place.)|
|(The finished project. Mounted to the wall. Securely.)|
It's not completely finished ... I still have some elements to add. But at least the largest portion of this project is completed. Lesson learned: Snow = Productive day in the shop.